Wednesday's Child

Monday, January 01, 2007

What's a girl to do?

I wanted to finish Blaze in time for Christmas so I could wear it to Chirstmas parties. When that didn't happen, I started getting visions of wearing out on New Year's Eve. Today, I didn't care if I ever wore it, I just wanted to get the damn thing done!!! So, I spent the day watching bad tv, knitting like a madwoman trying to get it finished .According to the pattern, I have 1 inch to go before I start the decreases. There's only 11 rows of decreases, so I'm thinking that there is no way that I'm going to bed before I have a finished sweater in hand. That is, until I look down. Yup. That's the remnants of the last ball. Not nearly enough to finish the last inch of pattern, let alone the decreases. I used a yarn substitute, but when I picked up the wool, Mimi and I both calcuated the yardage separately and I bought an extra ball just in case. There is no way I don't have enough to finish. There was only one logical thing to do next- I started tearing apart my storage closet- looking though the stash, throwing old shovels, toolboxes, rubber bins of extra blankets, and anything else in my path out of the way trying to find that extra ball that has to be hiding somewhere. But alas, there is no extra ball. I was feeling pretty desperate at this point and figured I might as well take the sweater off the needles and see if there is some way I can alter the pattern to make it work.
Do you see what I see? It is HUGE in the shoulders. A linebacker could wear this sweater!!! There is about 6 inches of extra material!!!!!I think it is safe to say that I'm not finishing anytime soon. On the bright side, I think that I have more than enough yarn. But, I'm going to have to rip back and redo part of the yoke. I think if I start the decreases earlier, it might work. Or do the decreases dfferently. Something has to work. I've been working on it for too long to give up on it now. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I'm pretty frustrated with the pattern right now, but Felix is still feeling the Blaze love.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good heavens. That's just awful. I really have no idea what you should do, but sobbing into a pillow comes to mind.

9:32 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear.
You need a hug.
Try screaming profanities at it. It probably won't make it co-operate...but you might feel better for it.

11:18 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh!

Hmm. Since it is knit in the round, I think you are still in the game.

I have no idea what the right answer is, but this is what I would try, I guess:

Rip back to just above the bustline after you joined the sleeves, since it seems to fit really well there. Figure out how wide (# of stitches) you want your final neckline to be. Calculate how many stitches you need to "get rid of".

Based on your row gauge, and the distance you need to cover to get to the final bind off, you can figure out the row increments in which you need to do your decreases...

Does this help? Or confuse things more?

12:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home